- Sir Sandford Fleming death centenary commemorated in Peterborough Ontario
Fleming College commemorated the centenary of Sir Sandford Fleming’s death with the unveiling of a portrait of Fleming by JWL Foster in Peterborough yesterday.
Fleming, co-founder of the Royal Canadian Institute, was also a driving force behind Canada’s railroads, a pioneering engineer and inventor of the concept of Standard Time. Bio of Fleming from the Canadian Enclycopedia.
Unveiling the portrait with Dr. Tony Tilly, President Fleming College, and Jock Fleming, Councillor of the Royal Canadian Institute and great, great grandson of Sir Sandford Fleming. (courtesy Fleming College).
- Is Our Drinking Water at Risk? Stop 2: Vancouver!
RCIScience & the David Suzuki Foundation present:
A national discussion on urban drinking water
Second stop: Telus World of Science, Vancouver
Tuesday, June 23, 7 PM
In Ottawa, we explored water supplies used for many other purposes. Now we’re moving to Vancouver, where the risk is posed by growth. How can water demand be met without massive impact on the environment?
With leading scientists and policy experts, we will explore:
- How can we deliver water to a growing urban area while accommodating both engineering and human behaviour? Steve Conrad, SFU
- How is our use of land impacting water systems? Hans Schreier, UBC
- Can we engineer non-invasive ways to meet water demand, maintain water quality and preserve the environment? Madjid Mohseni, UBC
Moderated by Oliver Brandes of the POLIS Project on Ecological Governance.
7 PM – 8:30 PM Discussion
8:30 – 9:30 PM Networking social hour with a cash bar
Presented with the generous support of:
- From Standard Time to Stem Cells: Landmarks of the Discovery District
We are delighted to be working with Heritage Toronto this year to host a walking tour of landmarks of scientific significance on the University of Toronto’s St. George Campus and down Hospital Row.
- Members of the Royal Canadian Institute
Notice of Annual General Meeting
RCI Members are invited to the Royal Canadian Institute Annual General Meeting and Conversazione
May 13, 2015, 7:30 PM, Croft Chapter House
15 King’s College Circle, University of Toronto, St. George Campus
There will be an interesting author and book signing during the one hour reception following the meeting You won’t want to miss this AGM! Contact Kathy Carter 416 977-2983 x 1
- RCIScience Webcasts
The RCIScience lectures are available online! You can watch them on your computer or mobile device. Put a little science into your day!
Click HERE and select “Fall” for the 2014 Fall series, or “Winter” for the 2015 series.
Webcasts recorded and supported by:
- Is our Drinking Water at Risk? A new cross-Canada series!
at the Canadian Museum of Nature
Free tickets available here.
Presented in partnership with the David Suzuki Foundation with the generous support of the RBC Foundation.
- 2015 Canadian Science Dinner
- Particle Fever screening at York University!
Special lecture, April 1, 7:30 PM
FREE screening of the acclaimed documentary, Particle Fever, followed by discussion and Q&A with York University researchers, Wendy Taylor and Sean Tulin.
- Fleming Medal Winner, Paul Delaney, wins CASCA Qilak Award
Congratulations to past Fleming Medal winner, Paul Delaney, on being awarded the Qilak award from the Canadian Astronomical Association, CASCA recognizing his decades of work promoting the public understanding of astronomy in Canada.